Below is a selection of recently published books which the Editorial Team at MSo think are of interest to the MedSoc community.
We would welcome formal reviews of any of these publications or alternatively you may add a brief comment here, below the details.
Involving Children and Young People in Health and Social Care Research - Edited by Jennie Fleming, Thilo Boeck
Divided into five parts, this practical book begins by considering what research with young people is and why we should do it, before leading the reader into how to undertake it. The book then provides practical examples of action and finishes with reflections about the whole process. Bringing together a variety of experienced researchers, from a wide range of backgrounds in health and social care and including young people, the chapters provide insight for practical action, as well as critical and theoretical reflection. Involving Children and Young People in Health and Social Care Research includes issues on:
- Understanding the reasons and processes for involving children and young people in research
- Making sure that involvement is meaningful and not merely tokenistic
- Developing research methods that are commensurate with different ages and abilities
- Ensuring adequate training and preparation, for children, young people and adults to make involvement meaningful
- Power and relationships between young people researchers and adult researchers
- Sustaining young people’s interest and motivation
- Addressing ethical issues that arise throughout the research journey
Jennie Fleming is Reader in Participatory Research and Social Action and the Director of the Centre for Social Action at De Montfort University, Leicester, UK.
Thilo Boeck is Senior Research Fellow at the Centre for Social Action at De Montfort University, Leicester, UK.
Published 21st May 2012
The details and descriptions of the books featured on this page are provided by the publishers and the MSo Editorial team can take no responsibility for their accuracy.
To submit a formal review of any of the publications above, or another book, please go to our Book Review submissions page.
Publishers wishing to have their books featured here should contact the Journal Administrator in the first instance.